Friday, January 04, 2008

Maya Fan Boys

I got a response to my Bunny Demo, and it seems like it's another fan boy that thinks Maya is the best thing since sliced bread. http://youtube.com/watch?v=PtGYuBLdX_M

After using Houdini, Max and Maya (I must admit, my maya skill set is not as advanced as my Max/Houdini skills - last I used Maya was version 7, and only touched a bit of 8!), I can understand the advantages of each of them, the disadvantages and where it will be good to employ them in shots.

Bottom line is, there is no one software that is the be all and end all. Play with the different pieces of kit, understand how each one works, and choose the best or a mix of them for the project. The local workforce also plays a part; so what if your dream pipeline is a Maya/Houdini mix? Does the local workforce have enough artists that not only know the software and are good at it? Or are you going to be just stuck with 3ds max?

Take Houdini for another example. While it has penetrated most of the effects houses in USA, I can only think of two people right now in Singapore actively using Houdini. Me and another dude. China seems to be picking up Houdini - one of my mentors/teachers Garman Herigstad has actually shifted his US School all the way to IDD in Beijing, China.

Enough ranting... I have more projects to work on...

2 comments:

leylabot said...

Haha. Well put Alvin. PS: We miss you!

Gallen Wolf said...

I miss all of you too! Gonna feed you guys more Leonidas chocolates if I get back =)