Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Hate Ubuntu and WEP!

I have been running Ubuntu Edgy whilst in the states, and had zero problems with the wireless as my apartment was running WPA. Ho hum, back home in SG, I'm using an ancient router that only has WEP! Crap! I used the Network Monitor, WiFi Radar and WiCD, and no luck connecting to it. Grr..... I even installed Gutsy 7.10, no go there. What's best, the network manager seems to be utter crap in Gutsy, actually crashing for no reason. No luck following the guides online either.

Houdini installed and played very well on 7.10, unfortunately my Apprentice HD license is on WinXP, and I am not in the mood to shift the license around. This is the time I wish I had the guts to migrate 100% to Linux - unfortunately I still need some windows apps. VM ware, unfortunately, seems to run a tad slow on my machine. This is the time I wish I had to $$$$ to buy a macbook, run OS X, and run Parallels. I've seen a colleague use it before and it's just totally amazing.

Well enough ranting. I'm just rendering stuff for a video tutorial, should be complete soon and I can get back to more Houdini loving. I really, really miss the render farms :)

No comments: