Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Personality type?

I'm not even sure why I'm blogging this. It makes no sense, but I just want to write about it. Perhaps just as a memory, to see how I've progressed over time.

More than half a decade ago, I graduated from uni, and begun my job hunt. For some reason lost and forgotten, I happened to pick up work versus personality types. I had identified myself back then as an INFP. No surprise for those that have worked with me - appearing at the pub on friday night would be some what rare.

Two days ago, I was hunting through my blog for an old picture and went over this old post, about passion. (Side note, is this syncronicity or what, but I was recently discussing about passion just last week with an animator friend of mine who would refuses a job at lucas, simply because the project does not interest him. I countered that, whatever pays the bills mate. Perhaps because in visual effects, we still get to do the cool stuff (tm) no matter the show, and animating clones would be boring?).

What is passion? (Oh yeah, watch as I derail the post). Is it the love of doing something? What drives you in the dark when the lights are out and there is no more milk left in the fridge for your tea? Is this passion? I don't know now. All I can say is, I love my job, won't switch it for another.

But if given another life, who knows. Heck, I'd love to be a vet. A wolf vet. Yeah. What I am not interested to be - you may be surprised - is to be a photographer. Nope. Not as a job.

While I enjoy photography *intensely*. It is simply an outlet for my creative juices (if there are) - after all, at work, while it is very challenging and I always have to figure out creative ways to get things to work (sub frame particle trailing today, for example), the clients and my supervisors are number one. Not me. While I do try to inject some ideas (e.g. I bugged one of my old bosses to put a gundam in the commercial and they actually allowed a mecha to be put in :P ), I am a firm believer that my job is to help my bosses achieve their vision through the kickass use of Houdini ;-)

So back to that passion page. This is a link to topic #40 at Sloperama, and I somehow reached #7. There was that personality thing and yeah, I thought it'd be fun to try it out again, after so many years.

This time, I came in as an INFJ. Surprisingly, the general flow of thought about my characteristics were quite on the ball. But so what. No big deal there.

Some googling turned up this page, which not only made for an interesting read, but also some personal development suggestions.

Here's some food for thoughts:
  • May find their ideas overlooked and underestimated - every time I use a flash outdoor in bright sunlight, people look at me funny. Grow up people. If the light sucks, we can create our own light.
  • May not be forthright with criticism - especially flickr. That is NOT a great macro shot people. Its crap. Wake up, and stop the mutual loving.
  • May be reluctant to intrude upon others and thus keep too much to themselves - this may be the reason why I am useless, utterly useless at real street photography.
  • May operate with single-minded concentration, thereby ignored other tasks that need to be done - obviously true, as I blew my flash, ignoring the warning signs to stop shooting and bloody put on the weather shield :P
Some other interesting reads:
http://www.infj.org/public/infjcharacter.html
http://www.personalitypage.com/INFJ_car.html <- hey look! Artist, Musician, Photographer!
http://www.murraystate.edu/secsv/fye/INFJ.htm

That much written, I think that the INFJ while is closest to what I can identify with, is not a 100% catch all for me (or for anyone). I also indentify closely with the INTJ type, which I think applies very much when I'm at work, versus INFJ when I'm out of work and able to follow my own creative endevours.

So much to think about, so little time.

No comments: