Saturday, August 13, 2011

[ Houdini Cookoff ] 05

And here we are, the textured carton. Basically shot each end of the milk carton with my slr, and assembled all the images in gimp (needs to be photoshop for linux :-/ )

And here come a minor issue - the linear/sRGB thing. Mantra renders in linear space, but the sRGB jpegs I shot are in well... sRGB space. For those concerned about this, please please google for info - I am definitely not one to be giving out info on linear workflows. Remember, google "linear workflow".

As a quick cheat, I applied a power function with an exponent of 2.2 (i.e. 0.454 gamma - 1/2.2) to the color channels (inside the shader), transforming them to a pseudo-linear space for rendering. At the mplay viewer, a 2.2 gamma is then applied again. Hence the colors will look correct, and thanks to the linear rendering, light sources will react properly.

This will need to be baked out in the final .mov file for submissions.

Tomorrow I will be doing the animation block in as well as tracking in a cg spoon. What have I taken upon myself!?

No comments: