Saturday, January 02, 2010

Is it 2010 already?!

Even though I was at the new year's festivities, I think the reality of it being truly 2010 only just hit me. Like... 2 minutes ago. Anyways, here's a quick recap of what I managed to shoot over the new year weekend.



Uh yeah, this photo above is the test shot I did in preparation for the fireworks. Having got there rather late (half past 6...), it was impossible to get a good position for the fireworks directly in front of the eye. The next position I found (above) was on the bridge above embankment station. I reasoned that there is a foreground element, it's at an angle, and I can get the whole area of the fireworks if I go fully wide, and I can take horizontal shots with the bridge in view as well. Good, no?

Unfortunately, about 7pm, the whole lot of people were told to leave the bridge as there would be no people allowed on that bridge after 8pm (!!!!!)

Quickly moved off to secure a new location, but couldn't locate any good ones :(


Found this eagle structure and the moon in one piece. This is a fair crop at max iso, wish I was carrying my 70-200 for a better crop + 2 stop faster shutter, however I wasn't planning on using it that day. My bag was crammed with food and water for the vigil till 12am anyways.

I then decided to get dinner with some friends in town, and watched the fireworks from one of the overflow viewing areas. Well that was yesterday :)


Today I popped by work, but they were doing maintenance upgrades - couldn't even log on, so I went off to explore Trafalgar square before deciding what to do next. Found the fountains there somewhat frozen over! No wonder there was a fair bit of grit on the ground when I left my place this morning.





Couldn't decide where to go, and was suddenly feeling tired, so decided to just explore some of the side streets near Convent garden, then went home after getting some fish and chips.

GW

No comments: