Monday, August 31, 2009

UK Wolf Conservation Trust

Today is a bank holiday in UK, and I was very fortunate that I had a bunch of acquaintances visiting the UK Wolf Conservation Trust (as it is very difficult to get there by public transport. Well, not difficult, expensive :)), which is also having its open day on the bank holiday.



There are 3 large enclosures for the wolves, and these are spacious enclosures indeed.

The morning light was very overcast, and I had no choice but to shoot at ISO1600. This is because, I actually brought out the 70-300VR for my long tele lens for the day! I though this would be just a fun outing to see the wolves, but my friends were toting Canon 100-400s and 70-200s :P OH. MY. GOD. I feel so under-equipped ;-)



After about 1pm, the sun broke through the clouds and I didn't bothered to shoot after that as the sun was very harsh, and coming from *behind* the wolves. Gah. Maybe if I had 4 sb800s, I would attempt to shoot.



There was a very nice viewing platform, however one point I try to do my best is to shoot from eye level. So I stayed below, and fought through not one, but two fences.



This would have been a really good time to use the 300/4, but oh well it was nice and safe at home.



The D300 + 70-300 combo actually works very very well so long as the light is good. It does not have the characteristics of the 70-200 I like, but it is very versatile and goes up to 300mm. The main thing that annoys me when shooting through fences is the zooming mechanism which extends, gets annoying :)



There were also falconers at the park, difficult to get a clean shot of the birds - and I have enough good keepers from my Bird Of Prey Center anyways, so I decided to go for a more falconer/bird shot.



The 70-300VR does pretty well, truly.



No qualms here!

No comments: