Sunday, August 09, 2009

Hyde Park Shoot

Following yesterday's snafu with the lack of atm card, the next best choice was to go heron hunting in Hyde Park.



The website said the park would open about 6, so I left my place slightly after 5. Oxford street was still alive with people even that time...



Some landscape photogs using medium format.... ooo....



I went to the Round Pond in the Kensington Gardens, however I found mostly Swans nesting on the bank, and some smaller birds picking up food from the side of the bank. I turned around and went back to the Serpentine, there were a few herons up and about, and was a good chance to get some BIF in :)



I was using two setups this morning, the 70-200/VR + 1.4TC, as well as the 300/4 with and without the TC. The 70-200 I shot it wide open with the TC, at F4, and showed a very bad amount of veiling flare. Examining my other shots with it stopped down to F5.6 showed that this flare was gone by that aperture, but still it's sad to see it :( All those shots went into the bin.



The 300/4 as usual was impeccable, with or without the TC it was very good. The difficult part about using the 300/4 is of course the shutter speeds required to get a sharp shot, as well as the narrow field of vision.





Slightly after 9, I was seeing much reduced bird activities, so I decided to go check out the Peter Pan statue before heading home. Caught this shot from the North Bank of the Serpentine. The boat, incidently is called the Peter Pan 2.



I think this is a full sized cormorant... not certain. I think the Little Black Cormorants and Pied Cormorants in Cleland were cuter though ;-)



Lots of Coots around. Found the statue. And I'm not going to post a picture of a statue ;-)




Grey squirrels were all and about the park. Did not think there were as many as the huge clusters from Greenwich, but they weren't too rare. I observed them being quite receptive to the visitors feeding 'em.


No comments: