Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Printing Panos... I'm addicted.



After acquiring Hugin, the software triad is complete - Bibble for RAW processing, Hugin for Pano stitching, and GIMP for misc pixel editing. I really would love to acquire Auto Pano Pro, but I'm just a n00b playing around with photography.

Next step, printing! I found a thread at Club Snap indicating that there was a pretty good place at Bukit Batok, which is about 20 mins on foot from my place. One of the gents working was readily helping me out with my pano images, and got a few tests done on SS6R size, which is 6 x 18 inches. See the image above :) The smaller white photo is a 4R size, which is 4x6 inches. Wowza.

That said, the subject matter in question, even printed at this size (it's the widest I'm told the frontier can print at; the gent told me the largest they can print is 12x18in) is just not enough. I'm actually looking around for a place that can print at 24x36in at a reasonable price - I've got the resolution for a 300DPI print at that size. It would be either a poster print, which may or may not use archival inks, or I may look into printing on canvas.

While it's nice to pixel peep on screen, I think seeing a large artwork on display is much more magnificent. There was also an article I read a while back between field of view of a photo versus the viewing size, unfortunately I can't seem to find it again.

PS: Impossible to see, but the last pano print was at a wedding, about 220+ degrees field of view :) It was during the "Yam Seng" section where honoured guests get up on stage and shout "Yam Seng" 3 times. People were moving all over, but Hugin, amazingly blended all the shots near perfectly.

2 comments:

dias said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dias said...

Printing photo liao hehe