Tuesday, December 16, 2008

D200 @ ISO1600



I've rarely printed my digital files so far; even when I shot my B&W films, I usually got a contact print and then printed out those (few) shots I want to keep.

I recently had the chance to shoot at the Esplande Outdoor Theatre for Nightsound. I was toting along my rental 70-200/2.8VR, and I think because of that plus my really nice dress & siggraph pass, no one stopped me :P

Lighting was really bad; I was shooting wide open @ 2.8, and even at ISO 1600 was getting shutter speeds as slow as 1/15s. Still, I managed to get a smattering of shots for my friend playing on stage (NB there was an official photog, I was just playing around.)

I processed the photos as per normal using Bibble, and settled for a portra-isk kind of look. Now on screen, the 100% view was pretty bad. But I was sure printing to 4R would be fine, but what about larger?

I decided to try one shot of my friend @ S8R size, which is 8x12 inches. Surprisingly, the picture came out quite well! Even the detail down to the straps of his guitar could be seen. If a bad 100% crop on screen is able to print out at that kinda size and still maintain the detail, I would think that if I had my iso100-200 shots, which are generally very clean, they would be able to be printed at ridiculous sizes.

No comments: