Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Carry less? Think Tank Skin 75 Pop Down

My first Think Tank product was the Urban Disguise 50. The UD 50 has been an excellent bag for carrying around my laptop + camera gear during flights, or when I'm on a trip, I use the laptop compartment for holding my soft shell. It has served me very well during my 2 weeks touring around Australia, getting on and off buses and what not.

If I'm not shooting wildlife, it's easy; me and my 16-85 for general purpose shooting. I've kinda given up on the 10-20 for now. Actually sold it.

But if I do bring my longer zooms out, I tend to put it in a sling bag. Whilst looking for a more waterproof solution, I came across the TTP Skin 75 pop down. It's designed for 70-200mm pro lenses, which for my dinky consumer 70-300VR is much more than sufficient. The lovely thing is it is big enough to stick in the lens with the hood on, and has a compartment for the lens cap.

Other really nice features include the weather cover, and a velcro sound protection. If you need to use the bag in quiet areas, the velcro area can be covered up. I really, really dislike the sound of velcro going off in quiet areas, guys and gals with Crumplers should know what I mean :)

I don't use a harness system (YET!), so I just slip it onto my regular belts. I've only run it today with my 28mm lens (duh), it actually gets in the way when sitting down, so I'll need to figure out a way of working with this new toy. Overall, I'm loving it. Will fit that 80-400 I'm drooling for at the moment :)

Other brands I've checked out include Saffroto which I really nearly bought as I love the soft feel of their material, and Lowepro's competiting range.

No comments: