Sunday, August 10, 2008

Using the D200 and leaving the D40x behind

So... I've been using the D200 on at least 4 day trips around Adelaide, and I think this is THE slr for me (until the replacement for the D300 comes out, then I get the D300 el-cheap! or someone invents the digital version of the Contax G. With a leaf shutter.).

I think the D200 generates noisier real life images compared to the D40x at ISO 400 or greater.

This has been a concern for quite a bit, but honestly, I am very certain this won't be an issue in prints, and even ISO 3200 pics (with horrible noise) shrunk down to web size after a good run of Noise Ninja is generally un-detectable. So. Noise is out of the equation, though I must still say. If you want to pixel peep, get a D40x or newer gen camera.

Apart from that, both cameras supposedly use very similar sensors, and I can't tell what camera did what honestly.

Where the D200 really shines is the pro-build. The auto focus is awesome, 11 focus points helps alot when composing a shot, 5fps drive is also somewhat awesome if less used. I think the thing that I love about the 200 is feel of all the knobs and controls on the body. I can change my ISO (well I'm actually using auto iso but still), WB or Quality settings by holding down one of the holy trinity buttons and then adjusting my thumb wheel. It saves alot of time. The 200 also comes with the motor drive, so. Primes here I come :) RGB histograms also help, plus it has the luminance graph that I rarely use now.

The weather sealing of the camera body also gives me alot of confidence shooting in inclement weather. Last week, I was at Morialta Falls where it was raining on and off. I'm pretty sure if I had the D40x, I would have stuffed the camera in the bag. With the D200, I had the confidence to just shoot in the rain. Sheltered of course, under my hat, not fully exposed in the elements - my 18-55 isn't exactly weather proofed ;) Got some lovely pics, just no time to put them online.

Only downside is the battery life, but oddly my new battery, after 3 cycles, is giving me nearly 400 shots (actually 387) shots with 51% free life. That was today, when I was doing a trail along Hallett Cove Nature Reserve. I only reviewed shots that I thought were important (and problematic) - else I am beginning to understand and trust the matrix meter.

In terms of lens wise, I think the 18-55 is a very good range and should serve anyone very well as a walkaround lens. I did mention in a previous post that I am acquiring the 16-85, which will give me a 24mm equv lens, which I am very certain will see lots of use as I've found myself wanting just a bit more at times today.

1 comment:

Ryan G. said...

good dude...
okay..less talk..more pics! lol