Monday, August 25, 2008

FF: Crisis Core

Finished running a quick straight through run of Crisis Core, somehow I can't get the same excitement compared to the original FF7. I'm probably just getting old.

Good:
Love the fight sequences. They remind me of Tales of Phantasia, hands on battle not menu pushing. It does add quite a bit of excitement and keeps you on your toes.
FMV: Advent Children Quality. I think those alone would be worth the purchase of the PSP and game.
Story: Pretty much tells the tale of what happens to Cloud and Zack, and the surprising history of the Buster Sword.
So many allusions to FF7. We get to see kid Yuffie, a hint of someone sleeping in a coffin in Shinra manor (LOL!) and meet someone who possibly built 7th Heaven.
Aerith! Woo!

Neutral:
Final Boss fights were not too long or annoying. Unlike some idiot casting supernova and making me really, really bored. Then again, the difficulty level (I was playing normal) was generally pretty good.
One character?! Well the focus is on Zack: SOLDIER 1st Class. Maybe he's that superhuman, who knows. I do miss having companions though.

Not so good:
The game progression felt very linear, it just brings you from mission to mission. Even most of the areas encountered are just straight paths. You get to do loads of side quests but you don't need to travel to do them; just access them from your menus.
Load time perhaps? Given that I've had a DS for a while, the load time does get annoying.

Now that I've done the game through once, I'm going to do it one more time following a FAQ to pick up all the items and summons. I barely had 5 summons, and those are rare. Speaking of which, there must be a Kamen Rider fan somewhere in the production. Because the Chocobo Summon is definitely a Rida Kick!

Alvin

No comments: