Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Nikon 16-85 in da house!



Just got the lens in yesterday; can't wait to bring it out in the field. This is probably considered a prosumer lens model, but it feels so damned good. It's actually quite compact at 16mm; the pictures do not do it justice. It does telescope quite a bit when zoomed into 85mm. It's also quite hefty; about half a kilo. It just reeks of quality. Zoom ring is on the stiffer side, and well damped. Lens hood is also included.

I only did some back/front focusing tests; all came out pretty well. I need to do a field test to confirm. I can see this baby being on my camera 95% of the time. I also noticed that at low shutter speeds, the pictures actually do seem sharper. Could this be the VRII in action?

In other news, my Zeiss Ercona I also arrived at work today (WOOT!) - medium format 6x9s! can't wait. Since my new Nikkor doesn't have a protective filter installed, I may not bring it out too far from the nest, and just bring along the MF folder for this weekend's hike. Can't wait!

Alvin

No comments: