Monday, June 22, 2015

Argh, viewing 4k video on OSX

Something weird is going on, and I can't seem to figure it out yet. I've got a bunch of test footage off my gopro at various resolutions (4k, 2.7k, 1080P, 720P etc). However, attempting to view the 4k and 2.7k files using either vlc (2.2.1) or quicktime 10 definitely gives me some kind of scaled playback.

It seems that somehow, it's being scaled down to the width of my mbp's resolution before playback. What, and why?! Using Quicktime 7 gives a different story; when viewing a 4k file on Quicktime 7, I can only see a tiny portion of the image on my screen when viewed at Actual Pixels. On vlc and quicktime 10, this option is simply not available (qt10) or does nothing (vlc).

Very annoying.


There is a zoom function in GoPro Studio, but I don't see anywhere an option to zoom to 1:1 pixels. Blargh. While I'm not interested in shooting 4k, I would like to pixel peep my test footage to see what kind of detail can be pulled out of that tiny sensor.

No comments: