Saturday, June 27, 2009

Shepreth Wildlife Park

Shepreth Wildlife Park is located about an hour from London, just several stops from Cambridge. A welcome location for the public transport-locked traveller, the park itself is situated very near the railway station, and no more than 5 minutes of hoofing will bring you to the front gates. The park is fair sized, but the first thing you'd notice when you step in is the amount of Prarie Dogs digging up a storm in the courtyard.



I mean, seriously :) I wish I had asked them about it before I left, as there does not seem to have an info email of sorts on their website.



It is also interesting to note how localised the area the furballs are digging up, so I'm guessing the park has in place some kind of containment strategy.

Shepreth itself not only does conservation work (with tigers, otters, lemurs, water voles etc), they also provide a sort of a shelter for injured animals.



This fox for example, was injured in a car accident, and is being taken care of.

Oh there are a pair of wolves there, glee! My first wolf encounter in Britain.



I think I had great fun at the park. Just a note of warning for flash users, the fencing used there is highly reflective, and many of my shots were consigned to the trash bin - I really, really should use this thing called an LCD on the back of the camera to review shots.

I'll leave you with a series of images :)


Coati



Mara


Tiger!


Iguana


Capybara

No comments: