Saturday, June 27, 2009

Paradise Wildlife Park

Another locale found about an hour away from London by rail, Paradise Wildlife Park boasts a large assortment of rare cats like Snow Leopards and White Lions, and is active in the conservation of such threatened species. My main pull to Paradise, is of course the wolves :)




One thing I enjoy about the park is the many viewing platforms available. These afford a great view from above, without the evils of glass refracting the precious light.


Snow Leopard.... majestic...

The snow leopard though had the incoming light so badly refracted. Pixel peeping this shot is very sad; a combination of low light and firing though glass at an angle. I think the pair at the park just had a kitten, which is good considering their sad state of affairs out in the wild.


Lion

There were the usual colored lions, as well as white lions in the park, something I've never seen before. The above shot is that of the usual variety, and both of them were quite active in er... increasing the size of the pride. The white lion was sleeping the entire day I was there. All I could see was his butt. Boring... This shot looks good in 8x12, though I have some reservations about the B&W toning. Once I get the toning right, I may try to go for a canvas print.


Eagle Owl

Later in the day, there was a bird display, where many birds such as barn owls, eagle owls, macaws are brought out for flying and display. Again, many of these birds seem to be rescued or rehabilitated. I have a particular place in my heart for the Eagle Owls.


Cotton Top Tamarin

As with the London Zoo, there is an area where tons of tamarins run around. No direct interaction with the visitors though, thought they have a tunnel linking the outdoor enclosure to the indoor enclosure. The cotton top was particularly difficult to get the exposure down, never mind they move *fast*.

A pretty good place for a fun day out for the family :)

No comments: