Sunday, February 15, 2009

Houdini | Curl Noise Implementation

Curl Noise is a form of noise that avoids the "gutters" and "drains" found in other noise types. Please see the following video:



However, curl noise avoids this effect (don't ask me how!):
Please find the C++ source code from Robert Bridson @ http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~rbridson/.

Currently, I am using perlin noise for my noise lookup. The C++ code I got I *think* uses flow noise. Anycase, as a proof of concept, perlin works very well. Now looking into flow noise et al.

I actually was looking into this noise type when I was doing RND on Harry Potter 6 whilst at RSP, but I was assigned a different shot that needed a totally different kind of effect, so this kind of fell by the wayside. Also, back then, I was totally useless looking and understanding the code anyways. However, recently I've been porting C++ code to Python (See: Programming Game AI by Example, Matt Buckland) thanks to PyGame being so much easier to understand VS C++ and OpenGL. Makes things so much easier! Side note, I've already implemented the first Chapter 2 example, a Finite State Machine in Python. Slowly working more in :)

GW

No comments: