Thursday, May 22, 2008

VirtualBox on Ubuntu



Only a few apps left on Windows that I absolute want to use - my mp3 player's incredibly useless transfer program, and Eve Mon, one of the tools I use when playing eve online. Hence, the dual booting. This ensure of course, max performance and compatibility, but rebooting sucks.... especially since you can't have your mp3s playing whilst rebooting. Anyways...

My vfx super was using VMWare to run H on his Mac Book Pro, which works very well, with a minor hit to the screen redraws. So thought I'd give virtualization a go. My last fling with VM Ware wasn't too exciting. Virtual Box OTOH is just so simple to install and setup. All I had to do was create a virtual disk, and then create a new box that used the disk. XP was installed in under 15 minutes, and by installing some "Guest Tools", I had access to my graphics card setup in minutes. What's best, sound works on both XP and Linux at the same time, so Eve mon will be able to beep me when training events occur, and I'm still got my MP3 active.

Happy happy! Now, if only I had the resources to get a nice, fast lappy hehe :)

1 comment:

shonofear said...

Thanks for the heads up on the VB.
Gonna give it a shot,

Cheers