Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Improving the Nikon D300's controls

I really like the D200 and D300 controls, I can, with my right hand:
  • Switch on/off the camera
  • Engage Auto focus
  • Engage the VR motors
  • Release the shutter
  • Switch between PASM modes
  • Adjust the exposure compensation
  • Select and reset my autofocus points
  • Perform a depth of field preview
  • Some other features that I don't regularly use e.g. flash ev lock, bracketing etc
Again, with only my right hand on the grip, and without removing my face from the viewfinder!

Now the other control I use very often, is the ISO setting. This button is located on the top left of the camera, and requires me to move my left hand up to press it down, while my right thumb moves the control dial.

While this seems not too bad, in practice when I'm handholding (i.e. no monopod) a heavy* zoom like my 70-200VR, it is slightly difficult to maintain my eye to the viewfinder as the camera tends to tip downwards, as my right and left hands are cradling the camera body. It is not too bad with a monopod, but still feels wrong.

A very obvious way to solve this problem would be to allow, for example, the depth of field preview button, or the lower function button to be dual purposed; by holding down the DOF preview button, it engages the dof preview. But if I hold it down and move my right thumbwheel, it will adjust the ISO setting.

Hence, I only need my right hand to perform all necessary immediate camera functions, and allows my left hand to permanently be assigned lens support duty. The D300 currently supports this for other features e.g. selecting between 3D/51/11 point af.

Another control I would like to see updated is the selection of autofocus points. Right now, you have the option of choosing 11 autofocus points, or the full spread of 51 points. I have been using the 11 points and it is most familiar to me coming from the D200. The 51 points definitely gives much higher focusing precision because you should not need to recompose, or recompose less, hence your field of focus will shift much lesser.

Unfortunately, it simply takes much longer to move say, from the center af point to the right most af point, when in 51 point mode.

Again, we can use the push system to solve this issue. First, with no button presses, the multi-selector can be used to choose one of the 11 main af points. That basically brings us to the general af area wanted, quickly. Next, by pressing say, the depth of field button, it causes the multi selector to go into hi-fi mode, allowing the selection of the full 51 points.

Hence, what I want is to use the 11 points mainly to quickly navigate to the general area, then hold down another button and use the same multi selector to choose a closer af point.

This would allow full control of iso as well as af points, without needing to remove one's eye from the viewfinder, allow the left hand to support the lens while doing it, and the right hand to perform all the necessary controls.

*Yes, it is obviously not as heavy as a 200-400/4 :P

No comments: