Friday, March 20, 2009

My First Giclée :)



Collected a whole stack of prints today, and also my first Giclée prints from Atkins Technicolor. I've already quizzed them if they'd sent overseas, so if I can't find a good printer wherever I'm going next, I can still get 'em to send it to me. Wooot!

What can I say. Printing big kicks ass! Can't wait to get these home, frame 'em up and stick 'm on my wall. Printed them at A3 size, you can see a 5x7.5in print (5R) for comparison. Now THIS is the cumilation of working on technique and spending time in the field. Don't see why one needs a 20 megapixel camera for posting a teeny 640x480 image on _____ (pick your favourite photo upload site). Bleh. Sharpness only matters here in the bigger prints; I can see the insane detail up close, the tiny food particles on the edge of the potoroo. Its a crap image, but its a good memory of how I got it.

This also concludes my color management/calibration setup. At least with Atkins. It's almost a perfect match on my new screen. Mostly inspired by Peter Maystrenko's portfolio. Peter specializes in portraiture and motor sports. He does his own wet prints, I wonder what how one does those!

I leave thee with an image I captured on the way to pick up the prints; a golden bush frond. Annoyingly, I took tons of shots, only 1 came out with acceptable sharpness (hate wind when doing macro......)

D200, 55mm AIS Micro-Nikkor @ 1:2 magnification

1 comment:

Paul Atkins said...

Thank you for your kind words!

Best of luck, your work is beautiful.

Paul Atkins