Sunday, March 15, 2009

More Cleland Wildlife Park

Dingoes at feeding time

My previous run at Cleland was with the SB600 flash. Lots of fun with a new way of shooting, but this week I went back with the SB600 equipped with a FX4 Better Beamer. Previously, I had the flash doing perfectly fine for fill flash on my 70-300VR, but it did not have the reach required for further subjects. This week with the flash extender attached, the reach was magically extended, easily twice! Downside with the flash extender of course, was the uneven flash illumination on focal lengths less than 300mm.

As close as I can get @ 300mm to fill the frame.

Overall, the experience with the flash extender was very positive.

In between using the long lens on the park's denizens, I pulled out the 55mm for normal use as well as macro use.

Relaxing Roo

It's pretty sharp, and after using it over two weekends, manual focusing on static furballs wasn't too difficult. At least in good light. For close up use is another whole ball game.

Fungi! Sb600 providing the light on camera right.

The 55mm focuses only to 1:2 on its own, and with the PK13 extension tube, down to 1:1. The problem with using tubes is that the lens loses the ability to focus at infinity. The modern AF nikkors focus straight down to 1:!, perhaps one day when I get into macro photography I'd get one of the newer ones. But till then, this old baby (made since 1979, evidently) more than suffices.





I bid thee, the reader, my thanks for reading. I leave thee then with a few dingo shots :)





No comments: