Monday, December 23, 2013

What do Cellular Automata sound like?

That was the question I was asking when I created this above. In all honesty, it does not tell much, it would be better if both axes contributed to the sound generation. And, instead of using samples, actually some sort of synthesizer. Alternative sound schemes would be like sounds played when cells become alive or when they die instead of playing back tones based on location.

Alternative modulation schemes could include taking into account the number of neighbours adjacent, or even a few steps out and use that to modulate say, volume. So many ideas.

Originally, I had planned to have the vertical axis be for the notes, and the horizontal axis for instruments, but I do not want to go there as I want to quickly finish this experiment and move on to my next experiment.

Game is here.

No comments: