Tuesday, June 12, 2012

New macs drop features, but will we miss them?

New macbooks evidently have been announced, and for us who use our macs for audio work, several things have been dropped from their newer "Retina" macs. I'm not directly affected by it, but computers will be upgraded when time moves on, and there are some features I would miss.

First, there is no firewire port. Many audio interfaces and external drives run off firewire, and whilst there is a thunderbolt -> FW dongle, that's another piece of equipment to keep track of. One also questions any side effects on latency when running FW equipment through thunderbolt.

Next: Lack of a cd drive. I mean, come on, if I buy CDs from a live show, how am I supposed to convert it? And even though I rarely burn disks or watch dvds, I still do. I was also thinking of getting one of those optibays to stuff an extra hdd/sdd into my mac. Can't do that with the new ones. Mainly, I use my DVD drive to install sample libraries. EastWest/Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra comes on more than 10 dvds for goodness sake. Just bought some VSL stuff, don't know how many dvds those will come on.

Damn you apple for OSX's Core Audio that works so well :P


No comments: