Sunday, February 14, 2010

Athens Day 2

Having had a pretty longish day yesterday (did not sleep the day before, except for the few hours on the flight to Athens) and fell asleep pretty early, but had set my phone to be up at 7am to catch breakfast. Unfortunately, I had set it to London time, so it was actually 9am in Athens when the alarm went off. Being too tired to get up, I snoozed a little longer. I then realized after my morning shower, that I had totally missed the free continental breakfast. GAH!


After grabbing grub (omelette and tea) - I headed over to explore the Acropolis. There are several entry gates, and I entered from the very quiet North Gate. The ticket sold is a 12 Euro ticket that allows for entry into the major attractions around Athens, such as the various Agoras, Temple of Ancient Zeus, etc.

Most of the place was being reconstructed and fixed up, to my chagrin. Oh well.

Lykavittos hill from the Acropolis

Roofs of the Plaka

Street Curves

Theatre of Dionysus from the top.

 Another view of the Parthenon

Interlocking contrast

Plaka again...

The day ended rather early, and arrived at the hotel just after 4pm where I proceeded to snooze. Woke up a little later and headed out into the Plaka for dinner at yet another homely greek place. This night's dinner consisted of some sort of meat (I think probably chicken?) wrapped in cabbage or some very vege-tasting food. And also a bit of spinich and cheese pie. Yum! Spent the rest of the evening reading novels and tea drinking. Got accosted by the same idiot on the way back to the hotel, and I deftly avoided him as I was tired and no mood to play the nice tourist.

GW

No comments: