Thursday, September 04, 2008

Dragonball Z - Uber Westernized or "Hey! Let's Ignore The Fans!?"

Granted, I'm not the most hardcore DBZ fan, but I've read the main manga series and watched loads of the movies, played the games since the very first DBZ rpg on the 8 bit ENS, but the live action move has to be the most uber piece of horror this year. I mean, come on! DBZ has decades of design and look. Let's not throw it out the window?!

Presenting link:

http://kotaku.com/photogallery/dbtrailer/

Observe the first frame. Is that Piccolo (woo! first time using that word... since rarely in SG do we use the english version - we go by the hongkong translated names for the most part) or the borg queen? Seriously. It looks more like something out of a Trek film, not DBZ.

2nd pic - well that has to be wukong. No offense to the casting director or actor himself but.... WHAT?! Wukong was definitely NOT american. Ignoring all the other pictures (is that Mr Welcome To Singapore playing the GuiSian?), the last shot should be that of a dragon ball. Or I do hope it's something else. Because seriously, it reminds me more of the Zodiac Stonse in Final Fantasy Tactics than a dragon ball.

PLEASE. A dragon ball is a bloody transparent sphere with a number of starts in it. That's it. There is no need to uber redesign it.

Now maybe, maybe it may end up like transformers where I would bitch that Megatron wasn't a gun or tank. But the movie did change my mind, and I think the vision of Transformers was good. But in the case of DBZ, it's going to be a wait and see thing. I can't for now accept that radical a change till I watch the film. And going by those jpegs, looks uber low budget.

Bitch bitch bitch.

No comments: