Saturday, October 10, 2015

Kfm3 Flying Wing Build Log 04

 Eh, didn't update the blog as I was struggling to figure out how to attach the pod to the wing.
I'd experimented with several ways of folding the tube after watching various vids only, and decided that I do not have the tools to do it, and came up with a sort of kludge solution that I _think_ kinda works.
So in the end, it started with the motor mount. It's basically a square basswood section sandwiched between two thin slices of basswood, with balsa filling in the gaps. I'm not sure how durable this will be, but it appears to be quite firm. Zipties are threaded through the wood section into the tube.

BBQ skewers are then pierced through and supported by hot glue from the outside. While this actually holds the wing very well - I'm rather surprised by how tight the wing is joined - I fear any crash will simply force the skewers backwards, tearing up the pod.

I'm also not exactly sure how I'm going to mount the electronics inside the pod, or how to strap the battery in. Oh well, I'll figure it out. This is what makes it fun anyways!

No comments: