Sunday, February 14, 2010

Athens Day 4

Woke up at the right time on the last day, had breakkie, packed up my clothing then checked out of the hotel. My final destination for today would be Lycavittos Hill, otherwise known as the hill trod on by wolves :):):)

The top of the Hill can be accessed by a winding road to the top, or the Telefarik. A kinda tram-like vehicle. The ride is very short, but it takes the edge off the hard climb.

Telefarik Station.

I was very lucky to find the station, I was navigating blind and... got lost. Checking the map, I found I had stopped exactly at the base of a stairway leading up to the telefarik. Talk about luck :D

It costs 6 Euros for a two way journey, which sucks as I only wanted to get up there mechanically and trod downhill, gravity assisted.

Guard dog and cat

Rear of the church at the summit.

Bell tower, flag and tree.

The Acropolis viewed from Lykavittos Hill

The views from the top of the hill are awesome. What's even better, it was blue skies the day I decided to visit. Yay wolves!

Shop owner posing

After Lykavittos Hill, I took a good slow walk down back to the Plaka, and er... wondered what to do next. It was just about 12, and I had not planned to finish Lykavittos that early. Pulling out my Lonely Planet Guide, I checked for eating places in the Plaka, and found one near Deinos street. Popping in, I ordered some lamb and potato stew. Had a coke though, as they had no tea :-/

Museum of Greek Popular Musical Instruments

Just besides the lunch place was a Museum of musical instruments. Lots of history there, and it is actually more interesting for me versus the archeological stuff.

Embedded glass globules?

Randomly walking around the plaka back to the hotel when I spied this house with these glass structured embedded in the roof. Perhaps they allow light into the house?

Random "street" shot

Yet another random "street" shot

After getting back to the hotel to grab my backpack, I made my way down to Syntagma station for the train back to the airport. Everything went mostly smoothly, except one of the souvenirs I brought back caused the xray staff to go mildly concerned (lol).

That was a good, if randomly spontaneous trip. Wouldn't say I had a blast of a time with the attractions closing at 3pm in the day, and me left with nothing to do at night :P But it was very restful for the mind and I think I had a good time to think about stuff.

More wildlife stuffz soon!


No comments: