Thursday, February 28, 2013

More Kindle thoughts.

Ever since acquiring the Kindle Fire HD, I've actually not touched my Kindle Keyboard. Ever. Till today. I had errands to run that I knew I would have to wait about. I thought about bringing out the HD, but it is not as easy to carry around without a bag - the regular kindle slips into my jacket's pocket - and as I was going to be doing lots of walking, didn't want to have a weight on me the whole day.

And it was great! The kindle whilst still sizable, is just so light and I'd totally forgotten how good reading a book on it just is. One thing I am very pleased about both of them is content. I'd picked up some books to read, and in seconds, the kindle had it downloaded. The fire had to have the individual books be clicked upon to be downloaded, but not much of an issue.

I see them as very different entertainment devices (I almost put tool... but I think I could live without either of them...) - the kindle really as a damned good ebook reader. Well, within reason, given it's black and white. Also, factor in its light weight, good size, and a battery that lasts for days if not weeks. Worldwide 3G is great too.

The fire OTOH is really more for content consumption and tablet gaming, and ebook reading second. I won't advocate watching movies on there, but snugged up in bed in the dark with music playing and reading a book or enjoying a light time killing game. It is a winner.

I came across the paperwhite kindles at a stationery shop yesterday and whilst it looked interesting, somehow the touch screen did not appeal to be. Perhaps if I actually owned one I'd change my mind. But hopefully my kindle will last a good long while as I really enjoy it!

No comments: