Tuesday, February 05, 2013

An hour with the Kindle Fire HD

Got a new Kindle Fire HD in the mail, just to see what practical use I might find for a tablet as well as to explore exporting unity to android.

A bit under the weather so I'll just list out my thoughts:

- Great screen
- Very solid feel, with a matte finish.
- Speakers seem to have pretty good bass.
- Seems pretty responsive
- Kindle's white charger works with the Kindle Fire.

Things I found odd
- Rearward Speakers

For reading purposes in reasonable lighting conditions, I still say the regular kindle has the edge. The Kindle Fire is just more tiring on my eyes, even though the fonts are sooo beautiful. The only advantage I can think of is low light reading - here the kindle fire shines. But on the flip side, it is quite weighty - the kindle I can hold in one hand for extended periods. Not so much with the fire. Oh oh, I can view the covers in full colour, that's nice :3

Another thing I liked about the Kindle Fire is the content I've purchased on Amazon are now available on the tablet (they still need to be downloaded though). It's pretty fast on a wifi connection, and listening to the music I've purchased in the past being streamed in is really damned convenient.

Other things like youtube and soundcloud work, which is great. Browsing on a tablet is a new experience for me though - some sites that require click and drag just don't work. Boo.


No comments: