Friday, August 15, 2014

Circle of Life | Adelaide | Burger Theory

I've been in Adelaide for the last two weeks for work, and things have been going quite smoothly. Well, apart from some drama at the airport with my ticket being cancelled, but that was sorted out rather quickly via a skype call to the travel agent's office. Thank you Changi Airport Free Wifi :)

Adelaide is very familiar, and yet very alien. Many shops are still the same, but some old haunts have closed down. Many of my colleagues are still there, and while their faces are familiar, the distance of five years means I need time to get to know them again. I know there are buses to take me to places I want to go, but I no longer remember the stops, or the bus numbers.

Ah life.

The year still weighs heavily, but the work and city here appear to be helping me lift this burden. One of the aspect that is helping - out of work - is the food. In general I find the food here difficult to complain about. Oh sure, I ate at this crappy chinese place last night but on the whole my omnomnomnom experience here at the various food courts and sandwich places (hello FUIC!) has been great.

This fine evening, I visited a lovely burger restaurant called Burger Theory. I had their number two burger, which is some kinda bacon with blue cheese thing, and it is absolutely as good as the burgers from Byrons or Honest Burger back in London. The fries are top notch, and the shake is proper.

It is actually a little too much food, as I am typing this feeling rather stuffed, and I had purposely eaten lesser over lunch, and refused to eat the cheese or cake at today's beer o'clock just to prep my stomach for this. Next time I'll probably pass on the fries.

This weekend, I hope to spend it eating more delicious goodness :) Going to find a Ramen place, and hopefully try out another chinese place that sells Wantan Mee - it is unbelievably hard to find a place selling that!  There is also a steak place I know that is killer good. But that's really pricey so I'm going to hold off till after payday.

I'll also be moving in to my new studio apartment tomorrow; I just got the keys today to a lovely place at the end of Rundle mall. It's mostly furnished (it even has a TV! What do i do with a tv lol.) but I need to get the utensils, crockery, bed covers and pillow. It's student housing, first time staying with students, I wonder what the experience will be like. The manager who gave me my induction appears to have gone through some really weird experiences, and I hope I won't cause her trouble.

Apart from that, I'm keeping my evenings easy, just reading books but once I move into my new place and get settled, I'll be returning to music et al.

Looking forward to the next 9 months; going to definitely spend some weekends out exploring out of Adelaide - places like Victor Harbour, Hahndorf etc. While I've been there before, I think I'll see if I can arrange for an overnight stay for the weekend.

No comments: