Sunday, May 21, 2017

BV141 Inspired Flying Wing

First up, I want to be clear that this little side project has been stopped as it's far too complex for what I'd like to achieve. Without further ado, here're a few snapshots of my BV141 inspired flying wing.


The BV141 is highly unique in that the pilot sits on a separate pod that's not obstructed by the prop, allowing great visibility in its proposed role as a recon aircraft. I thought this would be a fun to tackle, as such a wing design would provide many advantages:
  • Plank-style wing would be very easy to construct from dollar tree foam/readi-board
  • Tractor prop would be quieter than pusher
  • Pod could be used for a camera with no obstruction from prop
This is where I decided not to continue it further:
  • To connect the pod securely to the main fuselage (or wing), would require additional weight a traditional pusher prop wing won't require. Such additional complexity would mean more work in the event of the crash.
  • Spinning blades of doom in the front. Nuff' said.
  • Wetted area of the addition pod, would pose much more drag than a single in-line fuselage on a pusher wing.
  • The flight characteristics of my kfm4 wing were superb, and I thought that it would be better to start from an already good design.
Even so, based on my estimates, it should be possible to get the design completed under 250g, and it'd be legal to fly here in Canada.

250g is truly a challenging limit to build to. Not only do we need to use lightweight components, we have to decide between spending the weight on batteries for longer flight times, or for payloads.

Lightweight aircraft also have difficulty flying in the wind. 

I'll be reverting to a pusher chevron wing design. It's long been my wish to have a wood fuselage alongside foam wings, and with my canard project stalled, this will be my new target.

No comments: