Friday, February 13, 2015

Houdini OpenCL kicking butt!

Spent some of this evening moving stuff to my new laptop, and also got the latest production build of houdini to play with. H14 now runs absolutely smoothly on osx 10.10 - previously on 10.8 houdini would crash when I select a point! According to forums this is a open gl 3.3 thingy, not available on the older osx. Should have upgraded, but I had too many fun mini-projects going on to deal with a major os upgrade.

Last I did major upgrades of osx... nothing happened. But you never know, and dealing with os upgrades and stuff like that - I avoid it if possible.

OpenCL also works a treat! Running a smoke solver with openCL make a tremendous difference in sim speed. On the flip side, in order to get that speed, we're not supposed to use caching and other things, which affects workflow. Perhaps simming at mid-res on the cpu + cache will be good for judging the performance, then running the full sim at high res with OpenCL...

That said, my gfx card only has 2gb of ram; it's not going to do sims as large as what the main cpu memory can handle.

EDIT: OMG Grain solver runs pretty swift on opencl! RAR RAR RAR!

Big jump, houdini 14. Can't wait for Unity 5 to be released then I can play with Houdini Engine :3

No comments: