Thursday, September 27, 2007

Perils of learning an instrument without a guide.

So... lately it's all been about flutes and no Houdini. Well just so you know, after this post, I'm going for my bath, then it's back to Houdini :-)

But I just want to write about my learning experience thus far. Today, for the fun of it, I decided to pull out my flute's head joint by a couple of millimeters. And, lo and behold, what happened? The flute suddenly sounded so very more flute like (duh? A flute sound more flute like?), and, dang, Low C was now so much easier to blow, and today, for the danged first time, I was able to play the 2nd register all the way to A! WOOT!

Actually made it to the 3rd register C for a bit, but I didn't want to try it for too long, for fear of the wrath of my roomies and other apartment people =) Not bad for a 2 month old n00b.

The point is, if I had a teacher or someone, I'd probably learn a hell lot faster, and not figure out why my flute sounds like crap. Ah well, live and learn.

NB: I left my electronic tuner back home, so I had no way of finding out what position is A = 440, so there :P

1 comment:

Ryan G. said...

well..there's gotta be an online tuner, that you can hook up to u'r pc perhaps...somewhere...google it. all the best in u'r flute playin' dude.