Saturday, July 02, 2016

Is Star Wars more popular than Star Trek?

Or at least, it _seems_ that way to me. Exhibit one: Canada Day Parade, Vancouver Downtown.


I was patiently waiting for a Bleach, or Naruto, heck, anything cosplay-related contingent, but nothing showed up. One thing lead to the other and I pondered, why isn't there a Star Trek contingent? And as I turned back time, I remember that at anime cons, I _always_ see SW related costumers. I honestly cannot remember the last time I saw a Trek costumer. I definitely have, somewhere, but I can't say when.

This made me consider the universes of both space operas. From my limited point of view - I'm not a big fan of either, but definitely read alot more trek books - Harry Potter FTW btw - Star Wars is infinitely more relatable. Sith, Imperial Stormtrooper. Jedi, even your alien bartender. They are everyday slices of life, in a different skin. I can relate to them.

Trek on the other hand, is humans in post-scarcity, vs the things they find while out exploring. I can't relate that easily to Picard or Janeway. They hold grand moral values that, while I'd love to be able to hold on to, I don't think it's something a regular wolf can do on a day to day basis.

At around this point, my mind went off on another tangent. Guildwars popped up for some reason, and I was like... isn't Star Trek like PVE? It really is a group of humans banding together to explore the world, face down "evil" and save the day. Just like ST.

Starwars on the other hand reminds me of PVP. It's the clashing of people and ideologies, the grand battles, lightsaber to lightsaber, turbolaser to turbolaser. No matter the scale or weapons, it's still People Vs People.

Also, Star Trek is people in sleek, futuristic uniforms. Starwars in my opinion, has so much more texture and differences.

I think I need to cook dinner. So hungry.

No comments: